National Leagues

Dulwich Hamlet return home in style

Goals from Ashley Carew and Nyren Clunis secured a homecoming win for The Hamlet in front of a record crowd of 3002.

Dulwich opened brightly and an early cross from Anthony Cook was cut out with Dan Thompson lurking, whilst at the other end Ashley Carew gave the ball away but the break was thwarted by good defending.

Anthony Cook linked with Thompson but the ball was cleared and then Thompson found Nyren Clunis but his heavy touch took it too close to the keeper.

The visitors wasted a chance in the 16th minute when Rollinson fired over when well placed and within a minute another long ball forward caused confusion in the Dulwich defence but they eventually cleared.

Clear cut chances were at a premium and the first genuine sight of goal arrived in the 31st minute, Anthony Cook was brought down wide on the right, Ashley Carew’s free kick was met by Dan Thompson’s head and Mark Smith brilliantly kept out his effort.

Eastbourne Borough wasted a good chance when Ransom had an unmarked header from a corner but his effort comfortably cleared the bar, whilst Thompson had the ball taken off his head from a Carew cross.

Michael Chambers had to cut out a cross after The Hamlet defence had been pulled apart on the left but the match remained goalless at half time.

Half Time 0-0

The Hamlet opened the second half brightly and an Anthony Cook cross was cut out for a corner within a minute of the restart. Two minutes later, excellent control from Dawes to bring down a long ball created a chance but he shot wide.

As play became mired in midfield chances little else occurred until the 61st minute when Dulwich took the lead. Good work on the left from Nyren Clunis created space and he laid the ball inside to Ashley Carew. He hit a first time effort along the ground, beating Smith low to his right.

With Eastbourne unable to put much pressure on the Dulwich defence, it was the home side who began to look more likely to extend their lead. Ashley Carew just failed to thread the ball through to Dipo Akinyemi.

The Hamlet doubled their lead in the 74th minute. Anthony Cook delivered a cross from the right and Nyren Clunis had time and space to placean unmarked header into the net.

With five minutes remaining The Hamlet had a chance to make the match safe. Ashley Carew played a long ball over the top and Dipo Akinyemi outpaced his marker but lifted his effort too high. A minute later there were a series of blocked efforts from Nathans Green and Ferguson as the Eastbourne defence came under pressure.

With the game deep in stoppage time Dulwich switched off a t a free kick and Walker was left with the simple task of reducing the arrears from six yards out. This lead to the visitors suddenly sensing they could snatch a point but despite sending keeper Smith forward and Dulwich clearances being ineffective, they were unable to find an equaliser.

Final Score 2-1

For more from Dulwich Hamlet please visit their website here

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); P